Monday, August 24, 2009

Death counseling


Not sure if you have heard about the health care reform that Barack Obama is suggesting in the US. I haven't been following very closely but one thing has caught my attention.
There is a lot of discussion about end of life issues. There is a concern that this new health care program would force elderly people to attend end of life counseling. Counseling that may recommend that the patient chose not to extend their life through medical intervention.

Could there be any value in such counseling? Or should life be extended at all costs.
Could there be some dangers with the type of counseling?

1 comment:

Sister C said...

That is an interesting question. I don't think life should be extended at all cost. About the counseling, I am not sure. I would imagine it would have to be very delicate and optional and that is because I see some dangers in it.