Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Greed

"greed which is idolatry" - Colossians 3:5

Money is not wrong in and of itself.  However we all know that greed is wrong, in fact it is idolatry.


When have we fallen into greed, worshiping money?

Timothy Keller in his book Counterfeit God notes that no one thinks that they are greedy. He states that he has had lots of people confess almost every sin to him.  But never greed - not one person.


How do know if we are worshiping the idol of greed?

Keller suggests "An idol is whatever you look at and say, in your heart of hearts, "If I have that, then I'll feel my life has meaning, then I'll know I have value, then I'll feel significant and secure."  (page xviii - Counterfeit Gods)

Peter Anderson gives this list of questions:

  1. What one thing do you hope for in the future?
  2. If you could change one thing about yourself right now, what would it be?
  3. What have you sacrificed for, and what do you value most?
  4. Who can you not forgive and why?
  5. What do you do that makes you feel the most value?
  6. What triggers depression in you?
  7. Where do you turn for comfort?

No comments: