Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hands

Over the last couple of days I have been walking with a family as they planned a funeral. Abe, a husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather, died last week. His funeral was today. I was privileged and honored to walk alongside the family in this time.
When I saw the body of Abe his hands drew my attention. They were peacefully folded on his lap. His wedding ring clear for all to see (he was married for 63 years...what an amazing testimony). As I looked at his hands I realized that these hands held the hands of his grandfather (possibly even his great grandfather). That this man walked and held hands with people who lived in the 1800s. He is a link to our past.
Then I saw his young great grandson. Looking at him I realized that this young boy (the lord willing) will hold hands with people who will walk 2100s. He is our link to the future.
We truly are tied to our past and to our future.

2 comments:

Sister C said...

That is very interesting insight. Good thoughts.

Emily Ann said...

Thank you for blogging...Hands. Beautiful connection of the generations. And the same hand you saw was holding the hand of God...at that moment.