We avoid because it is filled with pain.
We embrace because it has affected all of us.
Here are a few things that I had in mind as I preached:
- Grace. There is grace and forgiveness. The story just before this one is a story of forgiveness. A man who owns too much to pay back is forgiven. He then is to forgive those around him. We are forgiven by God based on the cross, this includes those who have been divorced. All of us need to extend the same grace that we have received.
- Hard hearts. Jesus states that divorce (marriage breakdown) happens because of hard hearts. Yes, there may be an innocent party in divorce (it takes two to make a marriage thrive). But we need to realize that divorce is a result of sin. Most of the time both individuals in a marriage breakdown have hard hearts.
- All of us have hard hearts.
- Two shall become one. The goal of marriage is greater than not getting divorced. The purpose of marriage is to not suffer through life with some other person. The goal is oneness. To be one means that you stand together and face all of life together. It is not about being roommates. Divorce happens because we are not pursuing "oneness". We do not want a spouse, we want cheerleader.
- Change. To be married means that we need to change. Marriage changes everything. Our hearts have to be open to allowing the other person to change us.
- Singleness. Sometimes it is better to be single rather than being married. Jesus holds up that a single life is blessed. Married life is also blessed (in different ways).