New Calvinist - The Gospel Coalition's "Foundation Documents" summarized:
- The Bible is without error, but also that its inerrant content must be properly interpreted.
- The absolute sovereignty of the triune, creator God has exhaustive foreknowledge, determines the smallest details of the universe, and saves his elect monergistically [monergistically means that God saves without any cooperation from the individual].
- In marriage and in the church, God has ordained that men and women play complementary (not equal) roles.
- The strong sense of mission comes out of a rich theology of God's kingdom as the exercise of God's sovereignty in the world for the eventual redemption of all creation.
- A well-developed ecclesiology commits New Calvinists to the renewal of faith in the gospel of Christ, reforming ministry practices to conform fully to the Scriptures, and proclaiming a gospel that "seeks the lordship of Christ over the whole of life."
- The "gospel-centered" faith is rich in piety holding up Christ as the one to whom we are united by faith and through whom we receive our justification and sanctification - he is not merely a moral example.
The Neo-Anabaptist - The Anabaptist Network
- Jesus is our example, teacher, friend, redeemer, and lord.
- Jesus is the focal point of God's revelation.
- Western culture is slowly emerging from the Christendom era when church and state jointly presided over a society...seriously distorted the gospel, marginalised Jesus, and has left the churches ill-equipped for mission in a post-Christendom culture.
- The frequent association of the church with status, wealth and force is inappropriate for followers of Jesus and damages our witness.
- Churches are called to be committed communities of discipleship and mission, places of friendship, mutual accountability and multi-voiced worship.
- Spirituality and economics are inter-connected.
- Peace is at the heart of the gospel.
At the end of the presentation Terry asked two questions:
- Does this matter?
- Are you more Calvinist or Anabaptist?