Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Matthew 2


This Sunday I am going to be preaching on Matthew 2. I would love to hear what God is saying to you when you read this story.
One thing that stood out to me is the way that people responded to Jesus - even as an infant. On the one hand we have Herod going all crazy and trying to kill Jesus. In fact Herod willingly kills all the baby boys in Bethlehem in his attempt. On the other hand we have the wise men who willingly travel thousands of miles (in a time without cars or planes). In fact it may have taken them two years to reach Bethlehem. They come to worship and give gifts to Jesus.
How do we respond? At times I find myself trying to kill Jesus in my life. I do this by ignoring him, pretending to be super holy, filling my life with all sorts of distracting things...
Then at times by the grace of God I find myself worshiping him. Caught up in some praise song, hearing him speak as I read his word, praying with friends....

No comments: