Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Re-Born Free - prayer guide

“I am God's child”

“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God”
John 1:12

Ask Jesus:
  • Jesus what does it mean to be God’s child?
  • God what benefits do I get as a child?
  • How does being your child affect my life? Work? Family? Friends?
  • Whose child was I before I believed?
Journal:
As I talked with Jesus about these questions I realized something. I don't want this to be simply an exercise for my theological brain. Very easy for me to go there and not do anything else. Emotions need to be a part of this. Encountering and living in relationship with Jesus is the point - even more than being free (though relationship will lead naturally to freedom).
So as I asked these questions of Jesus he reminded me of a point when he claimed me as his own. It was many years ago. I was at a retreat sitting in the back when I felt God's hand reach down and grab me and he said "you are mine." This experience has shaped my faith more than all my study and research. I belong to God. I am his child. Not because I did anything to deserve it (I was a mess). Not because I am going to do anything to deserve it. Yahweh simply claimed me as his child.

No comments: