Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Re-Born Free - prayer guide

“I am free forever from condemnation”

“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.”
Romans 8:1-2

God convicts us of sin but does not condemn us.
The difference is that conviction is action based - “I did this – specific thing – wrong”.
Condemnation is character based – “I am useless.”

Ask Jesus:
  • When in my life have I believed that it was you speaking to me when it was really either the devil or myself?
  • How do you view me?
  • What condemnation lie am I holding on to in my life?
Journal
As we have been walking through this freedom material for Lent I have started to realize that a lot of my life is shaped by a negative self-image. I thought I was freer than I am. For example today Jesus pointed out that I accept a lot of condemnation in my life. I often say to myself that "I am useless, worthless and can't do anything." The reason that I am convinced about this is that I believe a lie. I know that when I do something I am not the best at it. Now that isn't the lie, it is true. In fact sometimes what I do is terrible. The lie is that because I am not the best or what I do is not that great there must be something wrong with me. There are so many problems with that line of thinking. But the one thing that I realize is that I need to get my worth from Jesus not from the things that I do - not just intellectually but also emotionally.

No comments: